It belonged to Tronder, a shepherd who also became Skagen's first fisherman.
Around 1340, Vesterby, on the east coast (to the south west of today's harbour), developed into the main village.
Several landmarks in the town are closely associated with the Skagen Painters who used to frequent them, including Brøndums Hotel, Skagens Museum, Michael and Anna Ancher's House, and Drachmann's House.
) is Denmark's northernmost town, on the east coast of the Skagen Odde peninsula in the far north of Jutland, part of Frederikshavn Municipality in Nordjylland, 41 kilometres (25 mi) north of Frederikshavn and 108 kilometres (67 mi) northeast of Aalborg.
The Port of Skagen is Denmark's main fishing port and it also has a thriving tourist industry, attracting 2 million people annually.
The Hvide Klit Golf Club is 17 km (11 mi) south of the town.
Skagen station is the most northerly railway station in Denmark and is the terminus of the Skagensbanen.
Its remaining artefacts were sold by auction in 1810.
St Lawrence's was replaced by Skagen Church, completed in 1841 and redesigned in the local style by Ulrik Plesner in 1910. The same year, bye-laws were established specifying building requirements including the completion of tiled roofs within five years. In 1871, the author Holger Drachmann and the painters Fritz Thaulow and Karl Madsen arrived in Skagen, the first of the colony of artists which became known as the Skagen Painters.Many of the town's typical yellow-plastered houses with red roofs which grew up along Sankt Laurentii Vej from 1890 to 1930 were designed by Ulrik Plesner.He was also the architect behind many other buildings in the town, including the railway station, Brøndums Hotel and Skagen Museum. and later additions were made for cold storage and the fish processing industry.They built the summer residence Klitgaarden, completed in 1914.Between the 1930s and 1950s the town grew rapidly, with the population more than doubling from 4,048 in 1930 to 9,009 in 1955.Thanks to its seascapes, fishermen and evening light, towards the end of the 19th century it became popular with a group of impressionist artists now known as the Skagen Painters.